[Lazarus] run-time vs desgin-time packages

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 00:17:09 CET 2009

2009/11/14 ik <idokan at gmail.com>:

> That much I understand (I hope). However, I can't install run-time packages,
> so how does Lazarus knows about them ?

run-time packages do not modify the IDE - no components get install
into the IDE's component palette. So you will create a project and
simply and that run-time package as a dependency to that project, so
that it gets compiled into you project and used at run-time.

As soon as you open the run-time package and compile it (NOT compile &
install, just compile), then Lazarus knows about the package and it
will appear as a option in the "dependency list" of other projects.

design-time packages will add a new Property Editor or Component on
the component palette of the IDE. It will register components that you
can drop on a Form in the Form Designer.

  - Graeme -