[Lazarus] Using latest FPC devel version with Lazarus

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Sat Nov 21 00:43:48 CET 2009

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 14:34:29 +0200
Juha Manninen <juha.manninen at phnet.fi> wrote:

> On tiistai, 17. marraskuuta 2009 14:48:34 Mattias Gärtner wrote:
> > You have to install fpc.
> > There are many ways to install fpc.
> >
> > Normally it is easier to build a debian or rpm package and install
> > that. this way all files are installed at the normal places, so
> > everyone can help you and you can uninstall/upgrade easily.
> > There are scripts to create debian/ubuntu/fedora/redhat packages for
> > this in lazarus/tools/install.
>
> I started to learn about RPM packages after all.
> I didn't know how make them but learned some basics, too.
> It actually makes sense to install programs through RPM even locally because
> then they can be easily uninstalled.
>
> So, I followed README.txt in lazarus/tools/install. It says:
>
>  $ cd <lazarus_directory>/tools/install
>  $ ./create_fpc_rpm.sh nodocs /path/to/your/fpc/sources/fpc
>
> It worked and compiled the whole FPC and created packages.
> However, it also created an src package (fpc-src-2.5.1-091119.i586.rpm).

That's only needed if you want to recompile the rpm, for example to
pass some extra flags or for security reasons.

> Does it mean that the next command is not needed:
>
>  $ ./create_fpc-src_rpm.sh /path/to/your/fpc/sources/fpc

This is creating a rpm to install the fpc sources.
If you use the fpc svn then you don't need this.

> How can I test installing it to a temporary place? It would be easier to spot
> any errors.

The rpm can be easily uninstalled. No need to install it in a temporary
place.

Mattias