[Lazarus] Lazarus make me create better apps

Vannus vannus at gmail.com
Thu May 20 19:56:53 CEST 2010

I don't think FPC is well known for doing web stuff, whereas PHP is.
If i didn't already know about Delphi/FPC I would never have chosen it for
the web. web hosts advertise that you can use PHP/ASP/Perl/Ruby or CGI - no
mention of Pascal, C, etc.

It's also very easy to get a website running with Drupal or Wordpress -
which webhosts also advertise.
What we need is a Drupal/Joomla/Wordpress built in FPC - PascalCMS :)
What would the 'killer app' of it be though??? speed? reliability?
community?

Personally, I use Drupal for full websites. You start off with enough for a
blog, and can disable and enable modules easily. Something similar with
pascal would be nice - but theres a lot of catching up to do. In fact, I'd
recommend starting from Drupal, and replacing the slow bits with Pascal
first (much like Linus/GNU replaced UNIX piece by piece.
Would we reinvent TinyMCE, FCKEditor, phpBB?

But I've came back to Pascal for a few small things because I needed to
process csv files with millions of rows, and wanted it done FAST.

A VERY important element of this would be that you DO NOT share binaries -
you MUST share .pas files. when installing/enabling a module PascalCMS calls
fpc to compile it. That way webhosts start encouraging use of Pascal as well
as PascalCMS - and the code gets compiled for the processor the host is
running.

We also need to make use of the many freely available themes/templates out
there (drupal, wordpress, joomla, etc themes) - pretty looking PascalCMS
websites will attract the masses :) Artisteer is theme making software, i
don't really like its themes that much, but we should still be compatible
with it too.

Just my thoughts :)