[Lazarus] Verdict of Lazarus 0.9.29

Alexander Klenin klenin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 12:21:39 CEST 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 20:39, Graeme Geldenhuys
<graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> I started with a new profile (via --pcp= parameter). Off the bat, one
> *major* annoyance of Lazarus IDE now is that I seem to spend more time
> trying to figure out how to disable all the damn "I'm trying to be clever"
> features of the editor! It seems the Lazarus IDE has gone totally overboard
> with the default settings!
>
> I have ticked/unticked a 101 settings already, and still the damn editor
> tries to be clever by indenting what it thinks is good coding style, adds
> semi-colons where I don't want them etc.. F**ken frustrating!
>
> How or where do I disable all these *annoying features* of the editor. I
> just want syntax highlighting.

You have a point here.
I admire the work Mattias have done on auto-indenting and code completion,
and think that the general direction of these features is better than
that of Delphi analogs.
However, they have many bugs, like http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=17072
which seriously ruin the experience.

I myself regularly switch between "wow, neat" and
"[strong Russian expletive], my code is auto-broken again" reactions.
But I believe that after bug-fixing automatic features
may be left enabled by default without irritating the users.

--
Alexander S. Klenin