[Lazarus] Lazarus Portuguese translation situation

marcelo.bp marcelo.bp at netsite.com.br
Wed Aug 31 02:47:08 CEST 2011

Hello,

If i recall from the last discussion about this subject, i was opposed to split the files. At the time i quoted that
the Lazarus wiki had stated the intention to have only the brazilian portuguese version
( see http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Translations_/_i18n_/_localizations_for_programs is still there).
Unfortunatly my and others opinions was outvoted.
Since then i am responsible for the brazilian portuguese version of Lazarus language files.
I agree that there are a lot of semantical differences between the two portuguese dialects, so about this new thread:

1) IMHO this could be done with the agreement of our fellows from Portugal. When the files get ready than they could
be added to the translations;

2) Paulo Costa is working in these files. Not fair with his efforts;

3) Not an option. Even with the orthographic agreement. There are to many semantical differences to adapt in
one set of files;

4) Let´s see what other fellow members can tell us.

In time, i want to remeber you all, that before splitting the files in different dialects, the IDE itself was having trouble
in identifying the correct files to load as default, since the OS was reporting “pt_BR” in its language enviroment variable.
I assume that our fellow portuguese members experienced the same problem (but with other variable value (“pt_PT”) of course.)

So, some attention to IDE´s language routines may be needed.

Regards,

Marcelo B Paula