[Lazarus] Object Inspector odd behavior (ComboBox issue)

dmitry boyarintsev skalogryz.lists at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 19:07:43 CET 2011

> Related to TComboBox, the behavior on carbon (not sure about other platforms) is not consistent.
> If it's a read-only list, single-clicking on an item in the drop-down list selects it and the list goes
> back up. If it's not read-only, you must double-click on a list item to make the list go back up
> (proper behavior on OS X is for the item to be selected and the list go back up with just a single click).
> Again, where would I look in the sources to change this behavior? This one is really important for my project,
> because it goes against the Apple HI Guidelines and might cause my app to get rejected.

I'm afraid this is how Apple designed Carbon (intentionally i suspect
to force everyone to use Cocoa).
You can actually test by using Interface Builder. Create a window and
place a combobox on it. Add some items to the combobox and run the
simulation. You'll see that combobox is behaving in the same.

This is possible to fix, but it required some additional efforts, and
nobody ever wanted to fix Apple's bugs for them.

This bug doesn't present in Cocoa combobox. So it will be working once
Cocoa widgetset is mature enough, however it's still Alpha and almost
unusable.

thanks,
Dmitry