[Lazarus] Development of other revision control

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 11 22:21:57 CEST 2012

On 11.04.2012 20:54, Dawson wrote:
> Is there a reason not to make an API, as opposed to a plugin for
> Lazarus? I guess in some ways the plugin system is nice since it doesn't
> force anything on anyone, but on the other hand it seems odd to me that
> a developer wouldn't want access to a "source code management" system
> built into their IDE.

It's not exactly plugin vs. API, but more "making a plugin which will
provide a SCM API". Not everyone wants to use the IDE for version
control (I personally prefer to use TortoiseSVN or the respective
commandline tools for SVN and Git), so by providing the API as a plugin
you aren't enforcing anything on other users. And that the plugin system
should be powerful enough for a SCM API is shown by LazSVNPkg. If
certain functions you need are missing then I'm sure one of the IDE
developers will implement them for you. ;)

Regards,
Sven