[Lazarus] Looking for a general text editor

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 18 16:13:56 CET 2012

Am 18.02.2012 13:11 schrieb "Graeme Geldenhuys" <graemeg.lists at gmail.com>:

> On 18 February 2012 08:37, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho  wrote:
> >
> > Still, I would say that using the Registry unit like that is a *very
> > bad* practice. Where will it keep the xml files?
> >
> > It is also very bad practice that the application already has .ini
> > configuration file and suddenly the recently opened files manager
> > would use a different file in a different place to store that info...
>

> I fully agree with Felipe on both counts. The Registry unit is a
> "hack" under non-Windows systems.

I as well agree that it's not good if an application suddenly uses
different storage formats (without reason). But regarding the usage of the
XML registry I don't have any real opinion as I never used it outside of
Windows yet.

I simply wanted to correct the statement that the Registry unit is not
cross plattform. Whether it's suitable or not on non-Windows platforms
needs to be decided by everyone him- or herself in the end.

Regards,
Sven