[Lazarus] Building help files: the nitty-gritty

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Tue Jul 10 21:42:20 CEST 2012

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 10 July 2012 14:52, Mark Morgan Lloyd
>> <markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk> wrote:

>> Finally, if I just want to add a few lines of plain text as
>> context-sensitive help for a control or form, with the main documentation
>
> Which one is it? Control or Form?  If it's a Control, then it falls
> under the Class / API help, which means XML files must be edited. If
> it is a Form (as in application help describing a dialog in your
> application), then it's something else.

On reflection, in both cases I think I mean context-sensitive help in
the context of an app. In other words: either F1 on say a toolbar button
or an edit field, or a button labeled "Help" which describes a form. I'm
definitely not thinking about documentation for a new control, to be
displayed in the IDE.

I think .chm can be generated from DocBook (hence from e.g. Lyx), but
one is rapidly getting to the point where there is more documentation
software than development software on your computer. I've seen mention
of something called DITA Open Tools but again it appears pretty heavy.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk