[Lazarus] Strange dependency of units

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Sat Mar 31 17:48:05 CEST 2012

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 17:04:16 +0200
Jürgen Hestermann <juergen.hestermann at gmx.de> wrote:

> Reinier Olislagers schrieb:
>  >> Of course, if I *wanted* to get information about "Cody" I know that I
>  >> could use Google.
>  >> The question was: Do I *need* to know about it to program with Lazarus?
>  > vs
>  > On 31-3-2012 15:08, Jürgen Hestermann wrote:
>  > "What is Cody?"
>  > ????
>
> Well, my question was a reaction to Mattias' "hint":
>
> "When you use Cody to add the grids unit to the uses section, it will
> automatically add the LCL as dependency."
>
> I found this a bit astonishing because why should I use anything else
> than my keyboard to add a unit to my program?

You can use the Cody dictionary with your keyboard only.

> And because I never heard
> about "Cody" before I wrote "What is Cody?". It was just yet another
> answer in the sense that it does not answer your question but instead
> hints you to yet another topic so that you get into the
> Linux-problem-solve mechnism to waste your live on another topic that
> leads you to another topic that leads you to another topic..  over and
> over again. You only never get back to solve your original problem, you
> may even forget about it. The reason for the success of Turbo Pascal was
> just that you did *not* have to have all the knowledge about what
> happens in the background. I painfully miss this idea in Lazarus.

I'm sorry for trying to help you and I'm glad that Lazarus users are
so spoiled.
The hint was a about a tool that reduces the burden of knowing to
which package a unit belongs, search paths and dependencies.
If you have trouble with "hints" then just ignore them.

Mattias