[Lazarus] Embarcadero vs Lazarus/FPC (Oracle vs Google)

Andrew Brunner andrew.t.brunner at gmail.com
Tue May 8 14:07:48 CEST 2012

Folllow the logic.  This trial is about theft.  It's not about the API.
Having API files that include verbatim code issued by Oracle are issued
under a pretense.  That pretense is what binds users of Java code to
the licencing of the API by Oracle.

Oracle is telling google that that it is UNACCEPTABLE for google to take
creative ownership over Java.  This problem goes far beyond copying of some
API.  Google as made and Oracle product - and Oracle is not happy.

FPC and it's core design have been around prior to Embarcadero's purchase
of Delphi from Inprise.  At the point of purchase Embarcadero was
responsible for objecting to FPC
and they could have avoided said purchase.

Both FPC and Lazarus predate Embarcadero's Delphi.  So any verbatim code
copying would have to be relatively recent.   Since Lazarus  is cross
platform, only Windows based widgets would be the source of ANY potential
threat to ligation.  So Lazarus worst case scenero is that only PART of the
project could EVER be called into question.

If they ever had a problem with say the Windows widgets I suspect the
community at large would defend this project tooth and nail and a suit
against Lazarus or FPC would probably cost them BIGTIME in PR points.

Recent versions of Delphi come with some parts FPC or Lazarus, this fact
alone says signals their acceptance of FPC and Lazarus.

IMO, it is Embarcadero  that would be worred about the Free software
foundation come after them for the use of code by Lazarus or FPC.

Lastly, API stands for Application Programming Interface.  So in order to
Interface with an API, both sides of the code MUST be identical.  While
this conversation started with API, I'm telling you this has nothing to do
Lazarus or FPC.