[Lazarus] Pochecker (was Fuzzy traslations ignored)

Giuliano Colla giuliano.colla at fastwebnet.it
Sat Sep 27 22:56:39 CEST 2014

Il 27/09/2014 21:58, Vincent Snijders ha scritto:

> <mailto:bartjunk64 at gmail.com>>:
>
>     On 9/27/14, Giuliano Colla <giuliano.colla at fastwebnet.it
>     <mailto:giuliano.colla at fastwebnet.it>> wrote:
>
>     > Do you mean the procedures in /ide/idetranslations and
>     /lcl/translations
>     > or what?
>
>     Maybe he means in the updatepofiles tool
>     ($Lazarus)/tools/updatepofiles.lpi ?
>

> That is the one I meant, but I guess the IDE uses the same routines
> nowadays.

Yes, I checked, and currently updatepofiles in ($Lazarus)/tools is
little more than a wrapper around the Translations unit, the same unit
used by the IDE to manage translations.

To summarize, for translations currently there's a number of scattered
tools, providing each one a limited number of functions, with some
amount of overlap and with some functions missing.

In an ideal world

 1. a maintainer would have a tool to quickly verify the state of the
    translations of the project he maintains, in order to possibly alert
    translators.
 2. a translator would have a tool which quickly shows him the state of
    the translations he's responsible of, and is capable to perform a
    clean up, to edit the translations and to validate them, without
    being obliged to jump from one tool to another.

Pochecker provides point 1. Nothing at the moment provides point 2. This
can be achieved either extending Pochecker functions, or by creating a
new tool, which could take advantage for a large extent of existing
units and components, but assembling them having in mind translator needs.

If Bart, who is the author and rightful "owner" of Pochecker, doesn't
like the idea of making it too bloated, then creating a new tool becomes
an option to be considered.

Giuliano

--
Giuliano Colla

Project planning question: when it's 90% done, are we halfway or not yet?