[Lazarus] Default ico handling and recent debugger errors

JuuS JuuS at mykolab.ch
Mon Mar 23 14:52:20 CET 2015

A bit more information on this topic if anyone is interested.

The debugger error occurred on three machines (however all three are
Kubuntu 14.04's).

I tried a test with a debug Lazarus IDE itself on one of the other
machines that still has the unfixed debugger unit. Making sure the
Lazarus IDE was shut down I renamed lazarus.ico to lazarus.xxxico.

I then opened lazarus (the missing ico file exception is silent) and
then tried to run lazarus IDE as a slave from this master. And the
debugger error comes up immediately and the IDE is broken.

Again this won't happen if the new debugger code has been added to the

It just seems to me this may be of interest in that it caused such a
fatal error in debugging and breaks the program. Maybe it has other
unforeseen effects?

Can anyone reproduce or is is just my Universe?

On 03/21/2015 02:32 PM, JuuS wrote:
> While testing RC1 and 2 I followed the suggestion to open a published
> project and see how the release candidates were doing with them.
> Upon doing this I got an immediate debugger error, which has been traced
> down now (as of last night) with the help of Martin and is fixed.
> The problems origins were (and still are to some extent)...weird.
> Before a debugger solution was found I could stop the error by simply
> removing the "default icon" line from the published project's LPI file,
> then no debugger error.
> During all the research I could see that while the LPI file had a
> "default icon" line, the publishing process did not copy the ico file to
> the published diretory.
> So there was always a background silent error due to the fact that the
> icon file didn't exist, the silent exception (seen when debugging
> Lazarus) was on trying to open this nonexisting file.
> How this all caused the debugger error is, as I have said, still not
> entirely understood.
> So it just brings to my mind that even though this error has no effect
> in most cases it may be best to either copy the ico file on publishing
> the project, or not writing a "default icon" line in LPI, or checking
> that the ico file actually does exist and recreating it if not; just in
> case it has other effects that will cause other "weird" errors down the
> line.

More information about the Lazarus mailing list