[Lazarus] Lazarus Mailinglist Reader

Mon Nov 16 12:39:19 CET 2015

On 2015-11-15 20:55, Werner Pamler wrote:
> Therefore, I wrote a little tool which downloads the archived mail
> threads into a searchable tree structure.

How are the messages stored locally? In a large MBOX file, and then
create an external index to speed up message access?

I have had a similar idea in the past, but instead wrote a full email
client that can import MBOX files, but also work with POP3 and IMAP4
(NNTP will be supported too at some point). I store all emails in highly
optimised SQL tables, primarily using Firebird, but other databases are
also supported (thanks to tiOPF).

The email "client" is actually just a database client application - it
doesn't do any actual email communications. The second other part of the
project is a Service/Daemon application that does all the real work like
importing, filtering etc. I don't use "folders" to organise messages
either. Instead I set up filters that apply tags to messages. A single
message can have multiple tags and can form a hierarchy too. So you can
organise messages in any way you want. Full Text Search is also
supported on the message headers and message bodies. I based the
"client" application's UI on the classic PM-Mail/2 (for OS/2), or aka
PM-Mail 2000 (for Windows).

I haven't decided if I want to open source the project or not. I'm still
thinking about it.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/