[Lazarus] Cross-compiling for Raspberry Pi2

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Fri Sep 18 11:02:23 CEST 2015

On 09/18/2015 10:42 AM, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> To the best of my knowledge, Delphi itself does not offer an event
> queue either in console programs.

In fact I doubt that the OP really intends to do a pure "console
program" that is called by e.g. bash and runs through without waiting
for anything and then exits.

AFAIK, with Delphi a "console program" is just a normal application that
only does not show a Windows, but that can use e.g. TTimer in the normal
Delphi-way.

> If you are talking about thread queues: the mechanisms in Delphi and
> Lazarus are exactly the same.
AS the OP did not mention threads, I was mainly thinking of TTimer (I
should have better written "TTimer" instead of "Event-Queue", even
though under the hood this means the same in that issue) .

> If you are talking about the windows 'event system': this is a windows
> concept, not a linux concept. Linux has different mechanisms entirely.
> This is unrelated to Delphi/Lazarus/FPC whatever.
With Lazarus the User does not need to be aware that under the hood the
Event Queue in the Windows and Linux brand of the LCL is implemented in
a different way. Lazarus rather perfectly hides this. (But not with
"Console Applications").

> I really do not appreciate this kind of derogatory comments.

I did not mean to sound derogatory at all. I am very happy that the
maintainers of the FPC and Lazarus Project do this great work.

I was just trying to be helpful to the OP, and I think - not only
because of the potential issue I described - it is a good idea to split
the porting task in porting from Delphi/ Windows to Lazarus/Linux and
then form PC to ARM. (Been there, learned my lesson.)  With a complex
Project, it even could be viable to do a port from Delphi to Lazarus on
Windows first).

-Michael