[Lazarus] I say a little prayer (for the Lazarus editor)

duilio foschi octopushole at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 11:06:29 CET 2021

If the coder in charge of the editor reads this, I have a prayer for him:

1.

The text showed in

https://i.ibb.co/0FQV1L0/3.jpg

is column-selected using shift+alt+arrow followed by ctrl-C

2. using the arrows key, I move the cursor to the position shown in

https://i.ibb.co/VmbVJtg/4.jpg

3. I press ctrl-V. The text ':string' is correctly copied into the
expected position but... look at the cursor

https://i.ibb.co/PWLfsn9/5.jpg

The cursor is now at the position after the 'g' in the same row where the
text was copied.

So in the Lazarus editor there is no difference in copying a text
row-selected
and a text column-selected.

In Delphi there is a big difference when you copy a text (at least until v.
7,
when I stopped using it).

Say you copy a text of lenght L from the clipboard into point (x,y).
If the text is row-selected, Delphi sets the cursor at point (x+L,y),
like the Lazarus editor does.

But if the text is column-selected, Delphi sets the cursor at point (x,y+1),
in the row below.

This enables you to quickly copy several rows of text, as shown here

https://i.ibb.co/98Y9WnD/6.jpg

This ability is a big plus for a coder...well... at least I remember I was
using
it often :)

.