[Lazarus] Lazarus Release 2.2.6

Giuliano Colla giuliano.colla at fastwebnet.it
Sun Mar 26 20:31:34 CEST 2023

Il 26/03/2023 14:42, Bo Berglund via lazarus ha scritto:

> Thanks for your input!
> On Windows I have been using the installer for Lazarus which can be downloaded
> from SourceForge and this isolates the Lazarus and Fpc into its own "sandbox"
> such that these probnlems do not appear.
>
> My real problems are occurring on Linux...
> Since there is no good installers to find I have created my own shellscript to
> install from sources (Lazarus and Fpc separately). And on Linux I do not want
> anything done as root and installed outside of $HOME so my script makes sure
> everything is located within $HOME.
> But there I have the interference problem between the Fpc versions...
>

> Regarding fpcupdeluxe, I have now tried it on Windows and after a bit of
> trial-and-error I have got the knack of how it works for a couple of Lazarus
> installs of different versions etc.
> Seems that the result is kept inside an isolated sandbox more or less like the
> SF install exe does for Lazarus and Fpc.
>
> But the advantage here is that with fpcupdeluxe one can modify the installation
> after it has been installed, which is very good.
>
> I do not yet understand how to get cross-compile installed properly though...
> (I would like to be able to build for RaspberryPi4 (and 3) on my Windows PC if
> possible. RPi uses ARM cpu of course...
>
> Anyway, a question for you:
>
> Is it possible to use fpcupdeluxe on the following Linux platforms and if so how
> is it done there?
> - Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS (using AMD CPU)
> - Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS (using AMD CPU)
> - RaspberryPi4 with Raspbian Buster and Bullseye (ARM CPU)
>    I can attach to these RPi devices using VNC and PuTTY
>
> And thanks for bringing up fpcupdeluxe, I had a look 3-4 years back and did not
> then really get the advantage.
>
> Finally:
> --------
> fpcupdeluxe shows as candidates for install Lazarus 2.3.0 and Fpc 3.2.4 both of
> which releases seem not to exist yet...
>
> What is the deal here?
>

> -- Bo Berglund Developer in Sweden
fpcupdeluxe does exactly what you're looking for also in Linux/Unix
environment. It keeps both Lazarus and fpc confined in the folder you
select, which can of course be in your $HOME directory. The trick for
Lazarus is quite simple, the icon it puts in your desktop just invokes
the startlazarus in the folder, with pcp= a configuration file within
the same folder. The trick for fpc is a bit a hack. As Lazarus requires
that the name begins with fpc, it passes to Lazarus as fpc compiler an
fpc.sh script, which sets the fpc configuration and the fpc executable
in the folder. You'll see it in Tools->Options->Environment.

On Linux I never tried to install in Ubuntu, but I did install in many
CentOs, Fedora, and Avahi environments. No reason why it should not work
with Ubuntu. On Raspberry I did install without any problem. Just
downloaded the appropriate tpcupdeluxe arm version. I installed also on
the newest Mac with Apple Silicon M1 processor. As it doesn't use
neither rpm nor apt-get, but just gets the files from svn or git
repository, the target environment is irrelevant, provided the processor
architecture is supported.

For cross-compiling you will need to pick up the appropriate options in
the "cross" tab, after setting the basic options in the "Basic" one. I
have done it a couple of years ago, to compile and test under Linux and
then execute on Raspberry, but I don't remember the details. As far as I
remember it was quite straightforward, with just some Raspberry
libraries which had to be copied to Linux, in order to link them properly.

The reason for it to propose Lazarus 2.3.0 and Fpc 3.2.4 is that
fpcupdeluxe doesn't care only about releases, it makes reference to git
branches and tags. So if you select a released version, or the "Stable"
one (which is the last release) you get a copy of a stable situation. If
you select a "work in progress" release, you get the latest snapshot of
that release. "Trunk" is the most recent one, for both, "Stable"

Giuliano

--
Do not do to others as you would have them do to you.They might have different tastes.